Hey, y’all! I want to talk a bit about Happiness. I know we are in the midst of some terrible times. All around the world we are faced with something powerful – an enemy. This enemy is making people sick and taking a lot of lives. Yes, that is frightening! Our schools are closed. What do we do with our kids? We are told to shelter in place. What about our jobs? People are running out of food and other essential products they use in their day-to-day lives. It is easy to let fear get the best of us when we keep hearing all these stories of people dying. In the face of all this, I choose happiness.
What? Yes, I choose happiness. How do you do that when all of this is going on? It isn’t always easy. I’ll tell you that. But, when I feel myself getting sucked into that vacuum of fear, I turn the switch OFF. I say, “Not today, Satan.” I refuse to be ruled by fear or anything that tries to rob me of my joy. I refuse. I don’t have time for it. Period. I intend to live every moment of my life, happy. If an obstacle gets in my way, I work on a plan to eliminate the barrier or navigate around. I may even laugh at it. My family tells me that I will laugh at anything. It’s true. I do. Hey, I’d much rather laugh than cry. Once my tear ducts are activated, they won’t turn off – sometimes for days. Nope. Not even going there!
I have many ways to stay busy. I am going through my usual routine during these times. I work from home, so that is a bit different from what many are going through. Some of you may like being able to work remotely from home during these times. For those who don’t. Let me offer you a few tips.
- Set up a distraction-free work area and let your family know, this is your work area, and you are not to be disturbed unless it is an emergency.
- Let your family know you will work from a set time until ________. And keep that promise. Set timers if you must. They’re going through a lot, too.
- If you have kids who are home with you, set them up with some educational resources to keep them busy. Time4Learning is an excellent resource I have used in my homeschooling practice. We love it. It is a full curriculum offering diagnostic testing to tell you where your child is in their curriculum. It is online video tutorials with teachers who walk your child through his/her lessons. Games are also part of their instruction. It is Kindergarten through 12th grade and perfect for children with special needs. It is easy to set up with minimal cost at $19.95 per month for the first child and $14.95 each additional child.
- Enjoy your break times with your family. It helps keep your mind off work for a few minutes, and when you get back to your work area, you’re ready to get your job done with a fresh perspective. Make a rule not to eat at your desk. It clutters up your work environment, and you need those break times away from your office. It’s also fun to have ice cream with the kids, or a cup of coffee with your Mister or Mrs. to break up the day.
- When the workday is done, close up shop. Clean your desk, turn off the computer, and you’re set for the next day. Now, you can cook supper, and have family time without having to commute.
- Some people follow the “dress for success rule.” When you go to your work area, wear what you feel most comfortable working in. Some days I dress for work. Others, I wear my pajamas. It’s up to you. If you can be productive in pajamas, go for it!
It is not the end of the world yet. It will be over soon, and we will get through it. Make the most of this time with your family. I know you’re worried about bills, especially those who have lost their jobs. Do what you can. List your most basic essentials, the things you can’t live without, and just pay what you can. Talk to people. Many resources are being put in place to help people whose lives are being affected by Covid19.
If you have an excess of food or other essentials, share with elderly neighbors and shut-ins. They will appreciate it. Prepare a care package and set it on their porch, ring the doorbell, and leave. If you have their number, give them a call and let them know it’s on the porch.
Happiness is a choice. We can’t say, “I’ll be happy when __________.” That day will never come. You must choose to be happy no matter what. Did you get your coffee today? Yay! Be happy. Did you wake up? Yes! Be happy. Your kids are well? Be happy. Find your HAPPY and share some of that happiness with others. Then, when this is all over, we’re gonna celebrate! We will celebrate the lives of those who didn’t make it and share their stories about how they brought happiness into their loved one’s lives. We will celebrate each other.
Leave a comment sharing how you find your HAPPY. Each week I will answer one question. ASK ME ANYTHING. I will choose one question and answer it the following week.
Be blessed, be happy, and know you are dearly loved. Thank you for coming to read my thoughts today.
XOX Shayla McAnn